Sunday, February 1, 2009

Surrendering to Creative Cycles

Secret Four
As I reviewed the Secret 4 chapter once more to try and figure out what I was going to write I came to realize this. I never looked at my work, my profession, as being my creative work. So, in trying to answer the questions in the challenges I was stumped. "How could I address a block in creative process when I've never engaged in a creative process?"

And then, it hit me. Not like a ton of bricks but more like the Simpson's "Duh"!

ALL MY WORK IS CREATIVE. Yes, yes, I'm a business strategist and I help CEOs reorganize their companies and their brands, I restructure and support leadership teams and guess what - that takes a TON of creative thinking and a very creative approach. Eureka! I'm a creative!

I think I kinda already new all this - afterall I did call my company Studio Pinpoint but I think this realization has been hiding just under the surface.

So, here are some answers to some random questions that really piqued my curiosity.

Have you ever felt stuck and lost?
Oh yeah baby!

How did you handle it?
I changed my life. I seem to change EVERYTHING in my life every 2-3 years. So here's a little example of only two elements in my life, residence and work:
2007-present: Living in Toronto at home with my parents, working for myself
2005-2007: Living in Iowa in my own home, working for a BIG company
2003-2005: Living in Toronto in my own condo, working for a medium size company
2001-2003: Living in Toronto at home with my parents, working for the same company

What have been the important catalysts that moved you into the next cycle?
A feeling of being trapped and not growing or being challenged mentally or emotionally.

What discomfort are you willing to endure to promote and experience your passion?
I am willing to endure the discomfort of nervousness that comes from uncertainty. I have been brave and strong and welcomed many changes into my life but they have always come with a big strong safety net in the form of a big salary or total and complete support of my family - or both! This time it's different. I move back into my condo with a business that earns irregular income and leave any big safety net that I have now behind. I am willing to endure the discomfort of nervousness that comes from uncertainty!

Do you feel exhilarated by your creative work right now?
OMG, yes yes yes yes yes yes. My work moves me. It's the best!

What are your specific fears about yourself and your work?
  • I will choose the wrong focus for my time and efforts
  • no fears about my work, it is authentic and true.
  • I will make a wrong judgment call - although now that I've typed this I've realized that even wrong judgment calls are good, sometimes you reach the top from the bottom!
Ah, I'm not that fearful!

On a regular basis try new things and see what comes up for you. Amen sister I'm going to!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

What an expansive aha moment! The explosion of energy in this post is joyfully infectious!